The objective of the Singapore Consumer Protection (Safety Requirements) Registration Scheme or CPS Scheme is to safeguard consumers’ interest by ensuring household products, designated as controlled goods, meet the specified safety standards.
The registration must be supported with Certificate of Compliance (COC) issued by designated Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) located in Singapore or MRA partners, i.e. CABs (Local) or CABs (Foreign – MRA) respectively.
UL Singapore is a designated CAB under CPS Scheme to issue COC for 26 Controlled Goods as shown below:
- Home computer system
- Any other audio products
- Coffee maker, slow cooker, steam boat and similar appliances
- Cooker range
- Hair dryer
- High-fidelity set
- Laser disc set
- Mixer, blender, mincer and similar appliances
- Rice cooker
- Table/Standing lamp
- Table/Standing fan
- Toaster, grill, oven and similar appliances
- Television/ Video display unit
- Vacuum cleaner
- Video cassette recorder
- Wall fan
- Decorative lighting fixture
- Immersion water heater
- Microwave oven
- Washing machine
- Ballast for tubular fluorescent lamp
- Isolating transformer for down-light fitting
Once the model has been registered with the Safety Authority, the controlled goods can then be advertised and/or supplied in Singapore.
Key Highlights of the scheme include:
- Suppliers who wish to supply the controlled goods into Singapore would first have to register with the Safety Authority before submitting their controlled goods to a CAB (Local) or CAB (Foreign – MRA) for certification.
- The COC is valid for a period of 3 years.
- All appliances must be tested to 230 VAC, 50 Hz.
- Test certificate / Test report more than three (3) years old shall be rejected.
For more information, please contact us at AryanJosef.Basas@ul.com.